Unreached Village Initiative
Every year our church in Chiang Mai visits a local village with little to no Christian presence, and we spend a few nights with the villagers sharing the Gospel.
The cost for this is minimal. Usually between $500 – $1800 for 30 people from our church to participate. This includes travel, food, lodging, media and resources. Last year we saw over 30% of a village pray to receive Christ. We have since sent a young man to pastor this young group of new believers.
We will continue this tradition every year, but this year we began praying for a new initiative: Unreached People Groups.
What is a people group?
According to the Website: Joshua Project, “For evangelization purposes, a people group is the largest group within which the Gospel can spread as a church planting movement without encountering barriers of understanding or acceptance.”
In most parts of the world, lack of understandability acts as the main barrier and it is appropriate to define people group primarily by language, with the possibility of sub-divisions based on dialect or cultural variations. Such a list may be referred to as an ethno-linguistic list of peoples.
In other parts of the world, most notably in portions of South Asia, acceptance is a greater barrier than understandability. In these regions, caste, religious tradition, location, and common histories and legends may be used to identify the primary boundary of each people group. Language can be a secondary boundary.
Thailand is a country of almost 70 million people.
- 99.5% of all people living in Thailand do not know Jesus Christ.
- There are 114 People Groups in Thailand
- 82 of 114 are considered completely unreached. This means there is zero gospel presence in this people group.
- 11 of the 82 that are completely unreached are located within 2-6 hours of our central hub in North Thailand.
There is a reason these people groups are considered unreached. They may be difficult to get to, there may be language barriers, there may be strongholds that exist within the villages.
Yet we know that:
- God desires that all men and women would come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
- Every tongue tribe and nation will be represented in Heaven.
- Nothing is impossible with God.
Our unreached people group initiative is still in the formative stages. We know we want to attempt to reach them, but we would like your help. Heres How:
- Get a small group to “adopt” a people group from the list.
- Commit to praying for this group on a daily / weekly basis.
- Bring this people group before the church or small group on a monthly basis.
- Teach the church or small group about this people group.
- After 3-6 months, begin to pray about how we can reach this group together.
- Reach out to me so we can begin to pray together with your group.